sits on a height of land overlooking the village of Milford. The
building, a former United Church, consists of the theatre that seats
160 people and Bredin Hall, built in 1997. The latter contains a
costume room, snack bar and washrooms and replaced the original Sunday
The land was bought to build Mount Tabor
Church in 1833 by trustees of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. A second church, Wesleyan Methodist,
and eventually United, was erected between 1865 and 1867.
Tabor Church remained vibrant and served Milford and the community for
This church was built mostly by the
brains, blood and muscle of one
man, Doctor Hautry Bredin. He spent much of his own money on this
‘Temple to the Lord’ which was dedicated in 1867 by
James Thompson. On June 25, 1967, Rev. J. A. Davidson preached at the
centennial service which was also the last one. His topic was,
“Has the Church had it?” South Marysburgh
bought the church for one dollar in 1968.
Eighteen years were to pass before it
became a theatre and home for The
Marysburgh Mummers and used by various other local performers.
The most notable feature is the steeple
which soars high above the
village. In order to paint it, Dr. Bredin was slung up with
pulleys, since no others wished to climb to such a lofty and dangerous
place. With this building’s conversion to a theatre, numerous
renovations by volunteers have occurred while acknowledging its church
origins. Shavings and a tool from the original construction were found
during the building of the stage balcony.
Rev. Davidson said, during the last
sermon, that “...greater
things will be done...” Certainly, the building has taken a
different tack from that of weekly worship.
After 18 years of sitting empty, several
concerned citizens joined together to discuss possible ways to avoid
beautiful landmark fall into disrepair. They discussed
possibilities, but soon discovered they all had a love of
decided to put on a play! In 1985, they produced
Laughing”. Since that time, The Marysburgh Mummers
become a recreation group under The County of Prince Edward Parks and
In 2005, the Marysburgh Mummers
celebrated their twentieth anniversary, performing plays, musicals,
and a host of other activities. Other groups and clubs including
Cubs, Ventures, performing artists, Milford Fair, and even a wedding
contributed to this historic site and in doing so, have turned the
worship in the older days into the newer focus of bringing people
skill building and entertainment through performance opportunities.